Saturday, December 4, 2010

Time On My Hands

Though not as deep and cerebral as A.J. Jacobs reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica in The Know-It-All or as whimsical or cathartic as Julie Powell's recipe-fest in Julie and Julia I will nonetheless attempt in this blog to boldly go where many a shut-in, compulsive gambler and dateless loser has no doubt gone before and attempt to watch all 35 2010-11 FBS bowl games.

However, unlike your jingoistic College Football beat propagandists I will attempt to turn a critical, and liberally sarcastic, eye on this money-making march to a National Champion. Making sure to sprinkle in a healthy dose of scepticism, righteous anger and a dash of scatological humor in an effort to keep things different.

The games begin in earnest December 18, but I'll be back throughout the upcoming two weeks with previews of each game relating what I find to be interesting insights/stories involving the schools, players, coaches and bowl itself. A little something to maybe give you a reason to tune into that Wednesday MAC vs. Sun Belt match up (I mean beside the 20-timer) instead of falling asleep in front of another episode of Cougar Town. We'll also have predictions (vs. the spread because who cares otherwise) and followup it up with commentary on the game itself, the coaches, the announcers, the commercials...anything I find of interest as regards football, pop culture or life in general.

Be back with a Cam Newton NCAA ruling rant in the upcoming days along with a list of my football pet peeves and a preview of Game #1, the much-anticipated New Mexico Bowl. Thanks to my co-workers, Facebook friends and Fantasy Football League mates for getting this far. Back with more soon.